Thursday, February 12, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY- LOVE


Today's Thankful Thursday Theme is Love....To me God has set the best example of what LOVE really means. "God is Love", the shortest verse in the Bible. His word also says in John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not parish but have every lasting life".
Where would we be today without that magnificent display of affection. I can't imagine giving one of my sons up to die. How painful that must have been. And to think, Jesus did this willingly, He could have stopped the Crucifixion but he sustained all of that abuse on our behalf so that we may live in eternity with Him one day. And, Why? because He LOVES us.
He did this for every human living creature on earth, so when someone irritates you, hurts your feelings, speaks ill of you...we must continue to love them. Jesus still loved those who spit on Him, whipped Him, nailed Him to the cross...He even asked God, His Father to, " forgive them for they know not what they do".
Love is patient, kind, long suffering. Man can this be tough...driving in a 45 mph zone when the slow poke in front of you has all day, all night, all next week and can't seem to find the gas pedal. Being kind to people that are like porcupines.
I want to be like my Heavenly Father and give love freely without expecting anything back, be able to over look when someone hurts my feelings, and even inconvenience myself for the sake of showing love to others.

9 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Hi Sweet Sister! I can't imagine sacrificing a child either. What a love -- we can't fathom!

Beautiful post.

Love you!

Debbie Petras said...

Lisa, I think you're a good example of love in action. I doubt that you expect anything in return when you give it out.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine giving up one of my daughter's to die I really can't. I am so glad that Jesus chose to stay on that cross and die for all of ours sins no matter what kind of sin it is so we can spend eternity with Him.

mama's smitten said...

Wow! What an awesome God! Thank you for reminding me what he truly did give up. I could not and do not want to imagine how he felt. I will however accept that he must LOVE us tremendously to allow this to happen.

More Than Words said...

Lisa..your post was right on, and it totally ministered to me!!!!!!!

Hugs, girl!!
Love ya!
Alicia

Angela said...

You and I both were on the same line with our thankfulness...I wrote this also on my blog early this morning.

I'm thankful that I have a Father that not only loves us, but has forgiven us SO greatly. To think that He would give His One and Only Son for us, to take our place for the punishment that WE deserved, brings me to my knees in weeping.

I'm thankful that Jesus Christ loves my family so much that He would WILLINGLY die for my family and I. I'm just sitting here overcome right now, tears flowing because of this realization.

I had to stop and get some kleenex after writing that. Just meditating on what you wrote and reading what I wrote, makes me cry again.

Father God, thank You so much for Your love. Those words just seem so small for what You have done for us and given us through Jesus Christ. And Jesus, Your love for us is overwhelming, but in such a pure and holy way that we bask in it. Thank You for leaving us the Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit, thank You for being our Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby and teaching us all things. amen amen amen

We have the MOST amazing Father!!

Denise said...

Thanks for blessing me with this post my dear friend, love you.

LisaShaw said...

So beautifully said from your heart.

Bless you.

He & Me + 3 said...

It's hard to grasp His kind of love isn't it. I sure wish I could just display a portion of that love every now and then.